Saturday, April 7, 2012

The Battle Continues

We were a little anxious and nervous as we got in the car and headed off to Raleigh very early in the morning.  Somewhere along the way Kim made the comment that she never though it would come down to actually having to do this.  I had all kinds of thoughts racing through my head.  I had been on journeys like this twice before, but never in a million years did I ever think I would be making it with the love of my life.

We pulled into the parking lot and got out of the car.  We were joined by our children, my parents, some friends and a whole lot of other people that had come for the same or similar reasons.  With hugs, kisses and well wishes the time had finally come.  I helped Kim to prepare as best that I could then let go her hand and sent her on her way.  I turned my back for only a moment and caught glimpse of her as she slowly went out of sight.  It was now up to her how this day played out.  I could only hope that if she got into trouble the hands around her would keep her safe.
I didn’t see her for most of the day.  My thoughts were always with her and I could only hope she was safe.  I glanced around every turn to see if I could get a glimpse but minutes turned to hours and I found myself getting more anxious with each passing moment.  Finally I caught glimpse of her and knew it wouldn’t be long before I would again be at her side.  When I finally caught up with her she was a little worn but holding her own.  I knew we had made it through a very hard day but it was just the beginning of a very long journey.
Today she is a three year survivor!  I love her more than I can ever express and I thank God every day for giving me the strength to help her through this battle.
Today we began another journey, though hard in its nature can never be as difficult as the one we started three years ago.  No one can ever truly know what it is like unless they have gone through it themselves or been a caregiver for someone who has. 
The journey today began much like our journey three years ago, although not nearly as much was at stake if we faltered in our mission.  We had a few bumps along the way but everyone is doing great.  We couldn’t have asked for better weather and we can only pray that it holds out for the next eight days.   We got off to a little late start, but quickly gained some ground and by the end of the day we actually finished two hours earlier than what we had scheduled.  Family and friends were at the landing to give us a hand and fill our bellies with something hot to eat.  Once everyone had left and dusk turned to night, we stood around in a circle, said a little prayer, lit some candles and one by one each of us read some of the names of those we were paddling to honor. 
One by one we disappeared into our tents and all is quiet on the eastern front.   There are more battles to be fought tomorrow.  Spirits are high and we eagerly accept the challenge that another day will bring.

1 comment:

  1. My spirit is with you all this morning as you crawl out of your sleeping bags to a cold,crisp dawn and prepare for another day on the water. Tape up those blisters and shake the water out of those boots!I know there will be laughter and quiet reflection, along with fatigue and sadness as memories are replayed of those we have lost. Being on the water with everyone yesterday gave me renewed hope and awe of the brave souls who fighting this disease. Many stories were shared of personal battles or of family and friends journys through the cancer blackhole. It so apparent the tremendous difference that love, support and camaraderie make. I am so happy Kim was blessed a hundred fold with such a loving family and steadfast friends! YOU GUYS ROCK! As I paddled- my thoughts kept returning to my dear mom and sister- feelings that have been buried for so many years because of the gut wrenching sadness of missing them so much. Many times tears came to my eyes as I thought of how much they would love being on the water with the blue sky, birds, butterflies and all the newness of spring. Thank-you Kim and Chris for giving me this opportunity to help fight for a cure and honor the lives of these two gentle and kind women who made a difference in the world in how they lived their lives and treated others. We continue the fight! See you again in several days, STAY STRONG! Wendy

    ReplyDelete